Thursday, April 6, 2023

The Punishments. Publication in The High Window




My version of an incident in the Middle Welsh story Math uab Mathonwy, the fourth Branch of the Mabinogion. I was plodding my way 'translating' the Middle Welsh prose when I started wondering about the punishments. Clicking on the link will open The High Window in another window.

https://thehighwindowpress.com/2023/04/04/liam-guilar-the-punishments/?fbclid=IwAR1AvEgjbh-DsP4TbpmlfPeI5JzKTNVoPsVmX1rrQqTGbcSd8AcfaIzA9sU

Every time I read this story, I'm perplexed by the character of Gwydion. If the stories originally had a mixed audience, then I can't imagine how a woman in that audience would have 'read' his actions. I can't see a male audience reading him in an entirely positive light either. He consistently puts his need to prove his competence before any thought of the possible consequences. And his indifference to the three women in the story drives the plot and leaves the cliched 'trail of misery' in his wake. He assaults Goewin, humiliates and then insults his sister, and then makes the lady out of flowers and never once considers that as a human she has free will and might want to exercise it. 

There is nothing in the story to suggest that he learns anything from the Punishments. Hence Math's choice of words at the ending of my version.

The Punishments also fit into a medieval discussion of shape shifting. While many thought it was not possible, others were not willing to say that God could not do this if He wished. At the same time there was a discussion about whether or not someone who changed shape, became a werewolf for example, remained essentially human in a wolf's shape, or became a wolf and forgot being human. . 

In the story, the punishments wouldn't work if the brothers forgot who they were in their various transformations.  It's nasty. But appropriate. 

I understand the significance of the Deer 9living in fear) and the Wolf (nothing that harms the pack), but the pigs elude me.  


My thanks to David Cooke for publishing this. 


No comments: